Environment Protection, Begins from Shopping
Many of us like shopping, even if it is window shopping. But not many of us aware of your shopping habit can bring significant impact to the environment, both positively and negatively. “Environment protection, begins from shopping”, I would like to share with you a list of great shopping practices that can help you to conserve our Mother Nature. Again, some of these practices are subjective and may not be applicable to you.
1. Buy only organic fruits and vegetables
2. Buy local products. This can save the fuel usage as well as reduce the carbon emission
3. Try your best to buy only fresh food. Frozen food requires 10 times as much of energy to manufacture
4. Buy only items that are reusable such as cloth pads, reusable diapers and reusable bags. This can reduce the amount of garbage as well as save energy
5. Do not buy items made from animals and plants that are facing the risk of extinction
6. Prepare your own container such as Tupperware and stainless steel lunch box if you prefer take out than eating at the restaurants or stalls. Reduce using polystyrene to pack your food
7. Plan well before shopping. This can ensure you do not buy unnecessarily
8. Choose to shop at the nearest mall. This can reduce your time on the road and avoid traffic congestion. This also reduces air pollution at the same time
9. Use unleaded petrol. This can reduce the amount of lead discharge
10. Borrow and rent from others items that you seldom use. This way not only you can save money, but also save space
11. Choose not to buy CFC products. This is because CFC destroys our ozone layer and in return causing global warming
12. Buy secondhand goods such as books and furniture
13. Bring your own shopping bag (reusable bag) when shopping. Stop the use of plastic bags because it takes 500 years for plastic bags to biodegrade completely
14. Choose to buy items that require less packaging. This can reduce garbage
15. Use rechargeable batteries for your camera, toys and other household appliances
16. Think thrice before you shop, only buys required items
17. You can do shopping online. This saves on a lot of resources
18. Buy products made from recyclable paper such as tissue and toilet papers made of old newspapers
19. Consider switching to diesel powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles discharge 10% less toxic gas than petrol powered vehicles
20. Switch to energy saving electrical appliances when replacing the old one
How many of the above mentioned shopping green tips you are practicing?
< 5 There should be no more shopping for you. Shame on you!
5 – 10 You should shop less!
11 – 15 You certainly can do much better than this!
> 15 When is your next shopping spree? Shopping alongside you must be a fun!